Tuesday, October 19, 2010

I carry our blood in my veins, mes cousins Acadiens.

Our families were scattered in 1755 and many of us ended up settling a "New" Acadia in South Louisiana instead of going back home to l'Acadie. Today I looked at the records of my family who were deported from Grand-Pre and held as "prisoners" for 7 years in Maryland.


ACADIAN CENSUS, MARYLAND 1763
http://ftp.us-census.org/pub/usgenweb/census/md/
This Census was transcribed by Joan Harman
Submitted to the USGenWeb Census Project http://www.us-census.org/
Copyright (c) 2005 by Joan Harman
<Transcriber@US-Census.org>


TRANSCRIBER'S NOTES:
The 1763 census counted each person in an Acadian household.  
These Neutral French were deported by the British to the Colonies in 1755 .


L'humble Requete des habitants Neutres de L'acadie détenus dans la province de Maryland   
Envoyé par vos très humbles Serviteurs les habitants Neutre de L’acadie
Ce 7 Juillet 1763 


Etat des gens nutrals acadiens qui sont a Senouville 
(note: underlined struck thru on repro - Joan)  
A Snowville, En Maryland.


+  Alexandre melanson, osite melanson son epouse, jean melanson, magdeleine melanson, jacque melanson, joseph melanson, etienne melanson, paul melanson  . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8


That brought my spirit back home today. I carry our blood in my veins, mes cousins Acadiens.


No comments:

Post a Comment