Monday, November 1, 2010

What a way to ride.. Oh, what a way to go...

Broke down along the coast
But what hurt the most
When the people there said
"You better keep movin' on"..

Acadian Driftwood, The Band, Northern Lights/Southern Cross lp

~ Musician, Poet, Hero, Friend - Robbie Robertson

To say that the song Acadian Driftwood has special significance for the Acadian ('Acadien' in French) people is beyond understatement! It was penned by The Band's Robbie Robertson, after he watched a documentary on Canadian television-- ACADIE, ACADIE, the story about Le Grand Dèrangement of 1755, the brutal, forced exile of the Acadiens from their American homeland of L'Acadie, now called Nova Scotia & New Brunswick, Canada. The account of the refugees making their way down from Canada to Louisiana where they became known as Cajuns, touched him deeply, resulting in this acclaimed musical masterpiece that touches the heart and soul of every Acadien.

When I first heard it way back when the Northern Lights / Southern Cross album was released in 1975, it was a powerful awakening! I knew that I was Acadien-Cajun but my family never gave us kids any details about what they euphemistically called "The Deportation". Once I realized the song was about notre histoire, our history, it was an emotional hit that prompted me to explore my cultural roots and powers me today, still. When I 'got' la vérité, the truth about the horrific exile of our ancestors, the song became more than just a song, it turned into a very personal anthem which brings tears to my eyes every single time I listen to it.

Now that more Acadiens are realizing the truth and the need to preserve this special culture, our cultural awakening, "Le Grand Réveil" is in high gear. I have the remarkable Robbie Robertson to thank for igniting the spark in me and we all have him to thank for cette chanson très important, this very important song!


Beaucoup de mercis éternellement.. eternal thanks Robbie and The Band! 

~ Evangeline Aucoin Gaudet



"One of Robbie Robertson’s all- time masterpieces, the album’s cornerstone".

"Robbie’s ability to create an historical voice that can speak so eloquently for several thousand real ones is a rare and precious gift".

"To capture the old time feel of the French at the end, Robbie consulted Quebecois lyricist and playwright Michel Lefebure and François Cousineau to help with the translation. It is hard to imagine anyone else in the world of popular music being able to pull this off. The net result is as evocative and magical as music ever gets."

From Northern Lights / Southern Cross album liner notes - Rob Bowman





  


















Acadian Driftwood lyrics:

The war was over and the spirit was broken
The hills were smokin' as the men withdrew
We stood on the cliffs
Oh, and watched the ships
Slowly sinking to their rendezvous
They signed a treaty and our homes were taken
Loved ones forsaken
They didn't give a damn
Try'n' to raise a family
End up the enemy
Over what went down on the plains of Abraham

Acadian driftwood
Gypsy tail wind
They call my home the land of snow
Canadian cold front movin' in
What a way to ride
Oh, what a way to go

Then some returned to the motherland
The high command had them cast away
And some stayed on to finish what they started
They never parted
They're just built that way
We had kin livin' south of the border
They're a little older and they've been around
They wrote a letter life is a whole lot better
So pull up your stakes, children and come on down

Fifteen under zero when the day became a threat
My clothes were wet and I was drenched to the bone
Been out ice fishing, too much repetition
Make a man wanna leave the only home he's known
Sailing out of the gulf headin' for Saint Pierre
Nothin' to declare
All we had was gone
Broke down along the coast
But what hurt the most
When the people there said
"You better keep movin' on"

Everlasting summer filled with ill-content
This government had us walkin' in chains
This isn't my turf
This ain't my season
Can't think of one good reason to remain
I've worked in the sugar fields up from New Orleans
It was ever green up until the floods
You could call it an omen
Points ya where you're goin'
Set my compass north
I got winter in my blood

Acadian driftwood
Gypsy tail wind
They call my home the land of snow
Canadian cold front movin' in
What a way to ride
Ah, what a way to go

Sais tu, A-ca-di-e, j'ai le mal du pays

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
J'arrive Acadie, teedle um, teedle um, teedle ooh

( english translation of ending )

You know, A-ca-di-e, I get homesick
Your snow, Acadia, makes tears in the sun
I arrive Acadia, teedle um, teedle um, teedle ooh

~ Robbie Robertson


:: Right on notre frère, right on brother Robbie!

RIP Rick Danko & Richard Manuel  ((*))

No comments:

Post a Comment